- - Benton Harbor
- Full Time
SUMMARY: The Controls Engineer will apply knowledge of Controls and Mechanical Technology to new and existing processes to maximize Overall Equipment Effectiveness. Train, coach, and mentor manufacturing and technical personnel. Reports directly to the Maintenance Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Assist in the development and design of the controls software packages utilizing Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and/or Human/Machine Interfaces (HMI).
- Develop tools and documents to troubleshoot problems quickly.
- Engineer control hardware / software upgrades necessary to improve operating efficiency of equipment.
- Examines and understands specifications in order to ensure the functionality of the equipment meets these specifications.
- Modification of process equipment control system to ensure maximum production output while minimizing down-time: this includes modifications to improve plant-wide costs and efficiencies.
- Ensures the equipment being started up and commissioned operates in accordance with company requirements.
- Programs robotic and/or controls equipment per company specifications.
- Performs preventative maintenance as requested by the customer to ensure minimum down-time and optimum operation of machines and equipment.
- Train maintenance technicians in equipment operation and troubleshooting.
- Maintain specification standards for new and existing process equipment control systems.
- Repair and troubleshoot new and existing process equipment control systems.
- General machine safety, electrical safety and machine guarding: high level of safety awareness (OSHA, NEC and RIA).
- Ability to interact professionally, and maintain a positive working relationship, which at times may be under difficult circumstances and/or high-pressure situations.
- Ability to obtain Lock Out Tag Out Certification.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain compliance of IATF 16949 / ISO 9001 / ISO 14001.
Follows all safety, housekeeping and company policies and procedures.
Coordinates and maintains all job responsibilities in a continuous and flexible manner and performs other related duties and job assignments as required.
TECHNICAL POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
- Extensive experience programming Allen Bradley/Rockwell and Siemens PLC/HMI software.
- Industrial Networks Knowledge. (Ethernet I/P, Device Net, Profibus, ControlNet.)
- Auto CAD Electrical experience developing schematics, panel layout, and bill of materials.
- Extensive experience with VFD and Servo drive systems.
- Thorough knowledge of power distribution as it applies to machine controls.
- Knowledgeable in the design and application of fluid power controls. (hydraulic, pneumatic, vacuum).
- Thorough knowledge of electro-mechanical control devices. (optical, inductive, capacitive sensors / contactors, relays, switches / power supplies and transformers / motors and motor starters.)
- Knowledge of Common Machine Guarding Devices. (Bumper Strips, Light Curtains, Area Scanners, etc.)
- Experience with vision systems.
- Read and understand electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic schematics and prints
- Provide support as needed to various manufacturing facilities.
- Experience conducting risk assessment of equipment to determine compliance to code. (OSHA, NFPA, RIA)
- Strong Knowledge of electrical safety and machine guarding.
- Computer literacy and knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, etc.)
- Ability to interact professionally with all levels of management.
- Ability to cope with stressful situations and maintain a professional and cooperative temperament.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's Electrical Engineering Degree preferred or extensive experience in Hydraulic Circuits, Blueprint reading, Hydraulic, Pneumatic and Electrical. Minimum 5 years Machine Repair and Maintenance experience. Must have robot set up and programming along with Vision systems set up and programming experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, talk, hear, and walk. Occasionally bend, squat, reach, twist/turn and lift up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus and distinguish color.